Friday 1 June 2018

Been AGES, hasn't it?
I have been out of the guitar buying game for some time, just busy with life and busy with taking care of my sick wife that I disappeared from blogging. 
I had (have still) some guitars in Japan that I delayed shipping for 2 years...yeah ridiculous but I just forgot about them and I suppose was avoiding the heart attack the shipping fees would amount to. 
Well a couple of week ago I bit the bullet and had the higher end models shipped as they were too important to have go missing. 
So $900 later in shipping fees they arrived at my doorstep (5 of em). 
They are as follows:

1981 Argus AA ES-335
One of the coolest of the rare brands of MIJ, short lived high end & made under Mr Shiino.
It seems they used various builders depending on the model of guitar made.
They all came with classic braided pickups that had no markings on the underside but honestly sound as good as DRY Z's (perhaps they are?).
All lacquer, flamed maple sandwich with awesome details such as flamed maple inside the cavities.
Fret edge binding which has yellowed beautifully along with a super dark rosewood board that almost looks ebony. Possibly Brazilian, who knows.
I have a few 335s and this might be my new fave, taking the place of my 76 Heerby.

1981 Vint*** Les Paul
Next up is another rare brand, I bought this on a buy it now for so ridiculously cheap as the owner had no idea what it was and most likely figured it to be junk.
The 3 photos were old webcam quality but I could see what looked like aniline dye fading and fret binding.
I am so happy I hit that double digit BIN.
I am almost positive that this LP was made at the same factory the Argus LPs were, same knob placement, bridge/tail, same brown back plastics, same inlays, and same pup rings tight against the fretboard.


Will update the others later...this takes too damn long haha. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey man, I’ve been searching like a madman, trying to see if I could find a way to get in touch with you. Happened upon that slick guitar stand you built. Wondering if I could barter/negotiate a glance at your template for it. I know it may be a slim ass chance of contacting you on here, being that appears as though it’s been over 5 years…I also created an acct on that LP forum, where I ran into your pic of the stand. Username is: riffsnbeer, in case you see this & are interested in negotiating. Or even if you’d just like to say, “Fuck off, you dumb American! Why are all you bastards so entitled!?”

    ReplyDelete